Two Types Of Asphalt Shingles
Many people who contact us for roofing services are surprised to learn that all asphalt shingles are not created equally. Though they look very similar, there are actually two different kinds of asphalt shingles:
- Organic - These asphalt shingles are made using waste paper that has been saturated with asphalt to allow them to repel water. This shingle is then covered with an adhesive salt and ceramic granules to further assist in the efficient shedding of water.
- Fiberglass - These asphalt shingles are made using a layer of glass fiber that is then coated with asphalt. The fiberglass shingle is further reinforced with mineral fillers that make it impervious to water.
Pros Of Asphalt Shingles
- Cost - This, more than anything else, is the reason that asphalt shingles are the most popular roof covering sold by our roofing services company. In comparison to other roofing materials, asphalt shingles have the lowest upfront cost. When properly installed by a top-quality roofing services company, asphalt shingles will provide adequate protection for around 15 years.
- Styles and Colors - Asphalt shingles are now available in a variety of styles and colors, so that homeowners can express their individual preferences without having to pay the elevated price of a customized product.
- Easy To Install - Roofing services companies love when homeowners choose asphalt shingles because they’re relatively easy to install when compared to other types of roofing. These shingles are light enough that they can be installed on almost every type of structure, and installations can typically be completed in a matter of days.
Cons Of Asphalt Shingles
- Susceptible To Weather Changes - This is something our roofing services technicians are always quick to point out to those in Sarasota who might want a shingle roof. Asphalt shingles have been known to require repair following periods of extreme cold, heat, and wind gusts. As you probably know, Sarasota sees its fair share of both heat and wind during storm season.
- Requires Regular Maintenance - Without regular maintenance, small problems with your asphalt shingles can quickly become big problems. In fact, some roofing warranties will become void if the manufacturer can prove that maintenance was not performed.
- Not Environmentally Friendly - Homeowners are often surprised to learn that asphalt shingles are actually a petroleum-based product, and their manufacturing process produces a lot of climate-changing emissions.
Choose Douglass Restoration For All Your Roofing Services in Sarasota!
If you want to explore all your options when it comes to roofing services in Sarasota, contact us at Douglass Restoration today! We install many different types and styles, including flat roofs, metal roofs, and tile roofs.